Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Around San Jose

Today didn't go as planned. See why below on my previous comment. Anyway, I was solo today, hence, I spent the day running errands and caught up on paperwork from the states. I went to the ticabus (sort of like "greyhound bus" but their logo is a deer...lol!) terminal to buy my ticket for Nicaragua. I couldn't do so, because I needed Lauren's (friend from NOLA) passport number so I could purchase her ticket. The local bus experience was terrific. It is really organized. Everyone stands in a long line and waits their turn. I kept thinking, "this couldn't fly in NOLA". People would be cutting in line. The people here are very nice and cordial. I then went to a local school to find out how they manage their special needs children. They are doing a good job. There seems to be a therapist coming in twice a week to help with the special needs children. Here in the university, there are speech therapy classes lumped into a special eucation curriculumn. They need more help with specialized services, though. I gave the teachers my email address in case they had any questions or needed resources.

Let me tell you about the ''complimentary'' breakfast here at the hostel. It is hillarious! The first day I was here, I was excited about breakfast. There was nothing at the front of the building so I asked them at the front desk if there was any breakfast. The gentleman said ''of course'' and handed me a tupperware container with two raw eggs, bread, and butter. He then pointed me in the direction of the kitchen. Isn't that great? Oh well, I can't complain....I am only spending $12/night! Today, I went to a restaurant called "Ristopollo''. It's a chicken place that is yummy! I had refried beans with fluffy chips and cheese, , 3 toquitos, salad, avocado, platanos, water, cheesecake, coffee, and a beer - all for less than $9. What a bargain!

I will be going with the group to another school in the morning, and then to a hospital. I went to visit the hospital yesterday. the speech therapists and audiologists were really sweet. They wanted to learn more about cochlear implants and swallowing. Then we go to another school on Friday to do lots of hearing screenings. Saturday we are going sight-seeing, and Lauren comes on Sunday. I am trying to plan something special for Lauren since she has been so sweet enough to join me. I didn't want to ride the Ticabus alone to Nicaragua for safety reasons. She is a great sport:) We leave Costa Rica on Monday and then off to Nicaragua for two days. In Nicaragua, there is a family associated with the U.S. embassy who will be hosting us. I will do therapy with their young daughter, and then spend a half day at a special needs school the next day doing hearing screenings and therapy. Then we come back to fly out of Costa Rica. I will not be home until March 29th.

PS- If my spelling or the punctuation (especially quotes/apostrophes) are off, it's because the keyboard is completely different. It is driving me nuts!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Christina,
    Sound like you are have such a good time, I am jealous. Here in Red Mesa it has been windy and cold. Sunday while driving my sister from Window Rock, AZ we ran into a dust storm, I could'nt see the highway! OMG I though I was blown away.

    I look forward to seeing you and hearing about your trip. ablack

    ReplyDelete